Firefighters responded to a chimney fire at 4 Central avenue in downtown Oak Bluffs on Tuesday afternoon. Assistant Chief John Rose said the fire broke out through a crack in the chimney on the second floor of the home, but the owner of the property was able to extinguish the flames. Firefighters worked for two and a half hours to make sure that the fire did not spread.
Creosote — combustible residue — builds up over time in a chimney, creating a fire hazard. “It’s essential to clean your chimney and have it inspected once per year,” the assistant chief said.