At least one regional high school student is facing disciplinary action following a recent incident involving distribution of marijuana brownies at the school.
A letter went home to high school parents this week from school principal Steven Nixon describing “two instances of students being placed in danger because of food.”
One of the incidents was an allergic reaction to a peanut product. In the other, unrelated incident two students received medical treatment last Friday after eating brownies laced with marijuana inside a high school classroom.
“Please be aware that your child’s safety is paramount to all we do . . . .” the school principal wrote in part in the Dec. 16 letter. Mr. Nixon said police had been informed of the incident and the school would begin an immediate policy of no eating in the hallways or classrooms.
Reached Wednesday, Mr. Nixon could not confirm how many students were facing disciplinary action, or whether the brownies were given out or sold to students.
He said while school policy already prohibits the consumption of food in classrooms, this is enforced less during the holiday season.
Mr. Nixon was not at school last Friday, but said he believes that because of the students’ behavior, they were brought to the nurse.
Oak Bluffs police Lieut. Timothy Williamson said no criminal charges will be filed. He said police were called in on Monday to discuss the matter with guidance and school administrators, but that disciplinary action has been left to the school.
The assistant principals are handling the investigation, and while it’s open, little information is publicly available, Mr. Nixon said.
They will follow school policy in the disciplining of any involved party, he said. He could not confirm whether the student or students will be suspended or expelled from school.
The infraction has no known precedent, Mr. Nixon said. “There have been marijuana incidents in the past at the school but as far as I know this particular issue has not come up before.”
Still, he said it does not indicate more or less drug activity at the high school.
“We are always concerned about drugs because we are charged with the safety of the kids in the building,” he said.
He debunked rumors that school facilities had been used in the preparation of the baked goods. “That’s not true at all,” he said.
The incidents were the topic of discussion at a schoolwide assembly Wednesday. Afterward, students met with their advisory groups to discuss the issue further.
The second incident, which occurred two weeks ago, was a severe peanut allergy to food brought into class.