Occasionally I am asked, why does the Island Food Pantry close for the summer?
The rationale for our mid-October to mid-April season includes:
• Anytime throughout the year, food is available from the pantry. In April our Monday, Wednesday, Friday 2 to 4 p.m. distribution shifts to food given by appointment. When a client calls the pantry (508-693-0476) the client is given a staff person’s name and phone number, a mutually agreed-upon time is set and he or she receives three bags of food.
• Warm weather means no heating bills.
• People, including staff, return to their seasonal employment.
• It provides a break for most of our volunteers.
• When surveyed (twice in the last 10 years), our clients indicated our present system very acceptable.
My sincere thanks to all our volunteers, to a large number of off-Island visitors and to those who live on Martha’s Vineyard for your continued support of this expression of neighborly caring.
The writer is the Island Food Pantry coordinator.