Margaret (Peggy) Street Was Edgartown Resident
Word reached the Gazette this week of the death of Peggy Street, a longtime resident of Edgartown, in November.
Although she called herself "a born and bred New Yorker," Peggy was a Vineyarder from the age of 14 when her parents, Ada and Henry Sillcocks, bought the furnished house on Cottage street in 1930.
She purchased "The Quiver" on Mullen Way in 1953, the second-oldest house in Edgartown according to Barbara Nevin, and "married the house" while also raising her two children, Fletch and Margie. She later met and married the love of her life, Bill Wadhams, and changed her name to Margaret. After Bill's death in 1996, she continued on with the aid of many helpers until moving to her daughter's and ultimately to a nursing home.
She is survived by her twin sister, Elizabeth Walker, and their older sister, Sarah Graham; her children, Margaret Street Wheeler and Fletcher Street, three grandchildren and a great-grandson.
She will be remembered at St. Andrew's Church in Edgartown at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 10, at a service celebrating the life of one of Edgartown's most endearing and unforgettable ladies.