The Vineyard girls’ hockey team fell 3-2 to visiting Algonquin in the preliminary round of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletics Association postseason tournament.

Both teams limited the other’s chances at scoring, with Algonquin stepping up pressure on Vineyard sharpeyes Callie Jackson, Sydney Davies and Aubrey Ashmun and the Vineyard returning the favor.

But Algonquin used some additional offensive pressure to beat out Vineyard keeper Jackie Hegarty in the first period, and kicked off the second with another score to make the game 2-0.

One minute later, Vineyard senior co-captain Callie Jackson won a faceoff and sent the puck to senior Alex Clark, who fired at Algonquin goalie Sasha Barry. Clark’s shot was deflected, but Jackson jumped on the rebound to give the team its first goal.

Penalties reigned in the second (six were handed down), with both teams struggling to convert the power play. An Algonquin scrum in the final two minutes of the period brought the Tomahawks their final goal.  

The Vineyard wasn’t finished yet; with 4:35 left in the game, junior Sydney Davies buried a Kylie Hatt rebound to put the team in striking distance. Two Aubrey Ashmun shots came inches from the net, and a late move by Jackson was again blocked by Barry.

Head coach John Fiorito said Algonquin was one of the best teams the Vineyard has faced all season.

“We were down a senior captain, and everybody stepped up,” he said (Emily Hammett, out recovering from appendicitis, donned her helmet in solidarity and coached from the bench). “We’d talked about limiting their chances, and we did that. We didn’t have a lot of opportunities, but when we did, they were good.”

“We couldn’t be prouder of the team,” Coach Fiorito said.

The Vineyard ends their season 11-7-3. With an 8-1-1 league record, they closed the regular season champions of the southeast division of the Southeastern Masssachusetts Girls Hockey League. 

In picture, senior Callie Jackson wins a faceoff against Algonquin.