Three people were transported to the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries following a three-car collision Saturday afternoon, West Tisbury police confirmed.

The accident occurred on the Edgartown-West Tisbury Road at about 4 p.m. Saturday in the Deep Bottom neighborhood area near Red Pony Road. West Tisbury Lieut. Jeffrey (Skipper) Manter said a silver Toyota Highlander driven by Nancy Ghiglione, 75, with an address listed as Chilmark, was traveling west on the roadway.

“She was headed up Island, crossed over the central line, and struck the left front of a 1977 GMC Royal camper,” Lieutenant Manter said. He said the Highlander then struck a 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander that was traveling behind the camper.

Driver of Toyota Highlander was admitted to hospital. — Steve Myrick

A fourth vehicle at the scene, a Bluefish taxi van, was not involved in the collision but stopped and offered shelter from the rain to several passengers in the other three vehicles.

The Mitsubishi Outlander was operated by Vanessa Matthews, 35, of Aquinnah. The GMC camper was driven by Michael Joly, 62, of Hyannis, according to police.

Lieutenant Manter said the operators of all three vehicles involved in the collision were transported by ambulance to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Mrs. Ghiglione was admitted to the hospital. Also transported to the hospital for evaluation were five of her grandchildren, all under the age of 12, who were riding with her at the time of the accident, Lieutenant Manter said.

Two passengers in the camper vehicle were uninjured.

Lieutenant Manter said the driver was issued citations for failing to stay within marked lanes, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

Police closed the West Tisbury Road for a time while first responders cleared the vehicles and a large amount of debris from the roadway.

Chilmark police, Edgartown police and ambulance departments, as well as EMTs and paramedics from across the Island responded to the mutual aid call for assistance at the scene.

Police gave a special commendation to the Bluefish Taxi for stopping to offer assistance, giving shelter to the children and one of the drivers while waiting for transport to the hospital.

There was heavy rain from a passing thunderstorm at the time of the accident. Lieutenant Manter said he didn’t think weather was a factor but the accident remains under investigation.

An earlier version of this story reported incorrectly that there were four vehicles involved in the crash and that Bluefish Taxi was involved. It was not but in fact had stopped at the scene to offer assistance.