Edgartown

The Chappy Bathing Beach is Purchased by Northam Warren

The Chappaquiddick Beach Club, historically important in the development of Edgartown and one of the key properties in its summer life, has been sold by Esther C. Conkling and Irene C. Wagenaar to Northam Warren Jr. and Dorothy C. Warren of New Canaan, Conn.
 
The Warrens in recent seasons have leased from Robert Marshall what is known as the Dr. Marshall house on Chappaquiddick. They will take title to the beach property on or before Oct. 1, and the beach club will be operated this summer, as in recent years, by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Conkling.
 

Edgartown Town Column

A brick sidewalk was laid this week along the School street side of the G. Holmes Perkins house on Davis Lane. Phil Dube & Sons were in charge of the work.
 
Mr. and Mrs. Ferris M. Angevin of Glendale, Ohio, arrived on Saturday, spending three days at the Daggett House before opening their Fuller street summer home off White Cat Lane. They will remain for the summer.
 
A son was born on Tuesday at the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital to Sgt. and Mrs. Wayland S. Fuller.
 

Playhouse Destroyed Main Street Periled

Fire turned the Edgartown Playhouse into a furious inferno Monday night, and three hours after the discovery of the blaze the large, forty-one year old building was completely devastated, despite the long and tireless efforts of firefighters from three towns who poured tons and tons of water into the theatre.
 

Cape Pogue Beach Is to Be Preserved

The Cape Pogue beach - two miles of it - including virtually all the strip with the ocean on one side and Cape Pogue Bay on the other, has been given to the Trustees of Reservations by Charles Sumner Bird and Oliver P. Filley, Chappaquiddick summer residents who acquired the beach some years ago.
 
The strip is one of great natural interest and beauty - often of windswept beauty - embodying the unaltered character of so much of the exposed shoreline of the Vineyard.
 

Traffic-Stopper

A traffic-stopper in Edgartown this week has been the corner of Davis Lane and School street where the stately house which was once Davis Academy and is now the summer home of the G. Holmes Perkins family, of Cambridge and Philadelphia, has been emerging in a pale blue manifestation, with white trim.

If You Think You Hear Bells, Probably You Do

Passers-by on Davis Lane, Edgartown, who think they hear bells, probably do. Although a casual glance will fail to disclose their presence, their sound is everywhere when the wind blows, hanging on the air like milkweed blown.
 
The bells have been fastened to a tree on the property of G. Holmes Perkins. There are four of them, clustered on one branch, and they carol together when the breezes set the tree in motion. In shape they are somewhat like cow bells, but their size is just right for a calf.
 

House Bears Name of Desire Osborn

The old house on Main street, Edgartown, which has been referred to as the Edson house, has received an official and appropriate christening. It is now the Desire Osborn House, called after James Coffin’s youngest child, Desire Allen Coffin, who married John Osborn in 1813, and for whom the house was moved to its present site from the neighborhood of Mill Hill.
 

For 21 Years, “The Smallest Bookshop in the World” Has Reflected Vineyard Reading Taste

One score plus one year ago, to wit, July 4, 1946, Borrowdale, “the smallest bookshop in the world,” opened its doors to the public in Edgartown. It was then, and is still today, the only shop on the Vineyard devoted solely to the purveyance of literature without resort to the lure of coupons or kickapoo juice or the like. Established by the late Gerald and Margaret Chittenden shortly before his retirement from the faculty of St. Paul’s School, Concord, N.H., Borrowdale quickly became known as the place you could purchase good books immediately, and order the other kind.

To Buy Knowlton House

An agreement for the sale of the Knowlton house on Davis Lane at School street, Edgartown, to Mr. and Mrs. G. Holmes Perkins of Cambridge by William Roberts of Edgartown, has been made. Mr. Roberts acquired the house, built by David Davis in 1838, in the summer of 1943, from the estate of the late Miss Cora B. Knowlton. Avery & Company are in charge of the transaction.
 

New Scow Tried Out

The good ship Chappy, huge freight scow which will this summer transport freight and automobiles over to Chappaquiddick Point and back, was the cynosure of all eyes Sunday, when she steamed all over the harbor. With Engineers Joe Costa and Jesse Jeffers coaxing the automobile engine turning the propeller, Capt. Tony Bettencourt walking the bridge, Joe Brown and Oscar at the tiller ropes, swinging the craft around in her own length, the scow made triumphant progress, loaded to the ribands with free passengers and accompanied by a great deal of assorted and uncalled for advice.

Pages