A TERRIFIC STORM - Sweeps over the Vineyard Wednesday morning - Wind and rain unlimited - Chimneys, trees and fences laid low - No serious damage to shipping in this vicinity - The hardest storm known for 50 years up-island - Dams and Bridges swept away, and the elements playing havoc all through the west end.

A storm, which, for its fierceness and brevity, and its accompaniment of rain, thunder and lightning, might well be called a hurricane, passed over this section Wednesday morning, levelling chimneys, trees and fences in short order, and giving the town a taste of what might be called the outside features of a genuine Western cyclone. The wind had been blowing heavy from the south-east during the night, and raining hard, accompanied for perhaps an hour, from seven to eight o’clock, with sharp thunder and lightning. At about eight o’clock a lull occurred of a few moments, the barometer at this time indicating 29.1—a figure that foretold a lively state of affairs probably near it hand. In a few moments it came, direct from the north-west, a wind which for velocity, accompanied by a fall of rain, old inhabitants claim has not been equalled for the past twenty years; many insisting that, considering its duration, Edgartown has not seen the like in their recollection. The rain so completely filled the air during the height of the storm, that large buildings were indistinguishable at a distance of fifty yards, and this, mingled with the roar of the wind and the clatter of the rain, created a scene of much excitement and wonder what the end would be. After some twenty minutes the rain ceased and the wind dropped to a heavy, steady gale from the same quarter which gradually died away during the day.
It was most fortunate that the wind came from the quarter it did, the town making a lea for the water front, as a wind of that strength from the south-east, and the heavy sea it would have made, would have probably done much damage to the large fleet of fishing boats, etc., laying at their moorings.
All things considered the town is fortunate that the destruction to property is as slight as it is, and the large amount of shipping in the harbor have additional reason for testifying to the advantages of being in a good berth in a storm.
While the storm Was at its height the large Balm of Gilead tree, which stood at the corner of Mrs. Hannah Darrow’s premises, was torn up by the roots and fell directly across the tread of Summer street, striking R. G. Shute’s building with much force and demolishing a window in the upper story. This tree was shorn of many of its branches only about a week ago, but for which fact the large plate windows on the corner would undoubtedly have been ruined, and its possible that the building itself would have been seriously damaged. A barn on the promises of the late Capt. Thos. A. Norton was blown down, but the timbers fell in such a way that the cow confined inside escaped without a scratch. Chimneys were blown from the houses of A. B. Fuller (2) and Capt. Chas. W. Fisher (1), and M. V. Bank suffers the loss of a part of the chimney of their building. A large willow tree at Edward R. Dunham’s, another at Mrs. Augusta Fish’s, a locust tree on the premises of the late Jared Coffin were among the larger trees blown down. Fruit trees of course suffered much, and what fruit had not been gathered before the storm, was blown from the trees, much of it, and wind-falls are abundant in the market today.
A chimney on the house of Matthew Norton at Chappaquiddic was blown down, and a barn on the premises of Gamaliel Fisher, is in a state of partial wreck. Fences in the whole country are down, it being reported that hardly a fence stands between the Swimming Place and the Foster Farm.
The large fleet of coasters at anchor in the harbor rode out the gale safely, only one or two mishaps occurring.
Sch. Harmona, of Boangor, coal laden, anchored in inner harbor Tuesday night fouled Sch, Dexalo, carrying away the latter’s cat-head. When the wind shifted to the northwest at 8 o’clock Wednesday morning the vessels separated, and the Harmona fouled her anchors and went ashore on the Middle Ground. She was lightered and gotten off Thursday afternoon.
Sch. Island City, Thomas, narrowly escaped dragging ashore, but finally again hooked all right. The officers and crew of U. S. steamer Daisy rendered timely assistance in making secure the bark Mattapoisett, light, at Osborn’s, wharf. 
Three-masted schooner Lester A Lewis, Pendleton, New York for Boston, was fouled by Sch. Eva May, McDuffy, Philadelphia, for Cambridge, while at anchor in outer harbor, the Lewis losing jib-boom and being otherwise slightly damaged.