Baptist Tabernacle

Work on the Baptist Tabernacle is progressing rapidly, under the superintendence of the contractor, Mr. Tilly, of Hyde Park, Mass.

August 18, 1876 Whaleboat Race headline

The Whale-boat Race

Oak Bluffs, Aug. 11, 1876

The whale-boat race came off Friday afternoon, as per announcement, under circumstances generally auspicious. The day was fine, with a refreshing breeze slightly ruffling the water, and the crowd which lined the bluffs and shore from “Lovers’ Rock” to East Chop light, attested the degree of interest felt in the event, and was certainly calculated to fire the breasts and stimulate the muscles of the gallant oarsmen, There were four entries for the race, as follows: -

Methodism on Martha’s Vineyard

The first introduction of Methodism on this island was subsequent to the Revolutionary war. The Baptists then had a flourishing society, chiefly consisting of residents of Tisbury, but numbering some from other towns on the island. The Congregationalists were here from the earliest settlement, and were often spoken of as “the standing order.”

Sea View Reception

President Grant and his wife had a reception at the Sea View House on Saturday evening last, which was a most fitting close to the festivities on the Vineyard. The supper was of the choicest kind. The beauty and wealth of the Bluffs were out in full force and dancing was indulged in until 12 o’clock. The time consumed in the reception was an hour, during which one thousand persons shook hands with President. The dining hall in which the reception took place, always pleasant, presented an exceedingly fine appearance.

The Rail Road

All difficulties have at last been overcome, and the iron horse now speeds from Oak Bluffs to Katama and returns with the swiftness of the wind. The snort of the engine strikes upon the ear and reverberates over hill and dale, waking up the dormant energies of man, and causing the cattle on a hundred hills to skip and jump like rams.

Arrival of President Grant

Today has been a notable day in the history of Martha’s Vineyard. The President of the Republic has landed upon our shore, has partaken of our hospitality, and has received in person the salutations of our people. Other days he will be with us but this day, his first day, is especially noteworthy.

The Trial Trip

Martha’s Vineyard, Aug. 24th, 1874:
[Correspondence of the Gazette]

The Rail Road

On the afternoon of Saturday last the Island Home was described coming down the bay toward Katama, bearing on her gangway an object which for some time kept a merry throng of expectant guests in a flutter of excitement and anticipation, and when finally the steamer had approached so near that the mysterious object could be fully made out, and word was passed that it was indeed the long-expected engine, then the enthusiasm knew no bounds, and with one accord the spectators adjourned to the wharf with the band to extend the welcome such an arrival deserved.

The Vineyard Railroad

Dacey Brothers, of Neponset, have taken the contract to build the railroad. They are under bonds to have the road completed and ready for the rolling stock by July 20th.

Town Meeting

“To be or not to be” - stock or no stock - railroad or no railroad - was the principal question before the community last Saturday, and the town and its “dependencies” (?) turned out en masse to meet the emergency. Every able-bodied voter was in attendance, and the people seemed determined that the matter shouldn’t go by default.

Hon. J. T. Pease was chosen moderator.

The second article of the warrant, “To see if the town would subscribe to the stock of the Martha’s Vineyard Railroad,” &c., coming up, Mr. Samuel Osborn submitted the following resolution:

Pages