Paul Dulac Resigns to Seek New Job as Superintendent

Edgartown School principal G. Paul Dulac resigned his post on Wednesday night, after deciding to remain in the running for school superintendent in Marblehead, where he is a finalist.

Vineyard schools superintendent Dr. James Weiss said he asked for Mr. Dulac's resignation after learning that he had kept his name on the short list of final candidates in Marblehead.

"Edgartown needs to have stability and commitment and clearly that was not the case," Mr. Weiss told the Gazette yesterday.

The news capped a recent flurry of minor turmoil around Mr. Dulac, who announced two weeks ago that he was a finalist for a school superintendent position on the North Shore. At the time Mr. Dulac said that he wanted to stay on the Vineyard, but uncertainty about long-term coverage for him in the school health insurance program led him to keep his name in the running for the outside job. Last week after town officials took steps to fix the health insurance problem, Mr. Dulac announced happily that he would stay. But this week the news boomeranged again.

"These things happen, but it's unfortunate that it has happened this way because of the impact on the school. My first commitment is to the children," said Mr. Weiss, who visited the Edgartown School yesterday morning to inform the staff about the resignation. He said a letter also went home with children for their parents. The date of the resignation has not been decided. Mr. Dulac was not on the job yesterday, although he will be back today, Mr. Weiss said.

A special meeting of the Edgartown school committee has been set for Nov. 29 to decide on the next steps.

Mr. Dulac was named to the top post at the Edgartown School last February, after serving as interim principal following the retirement of longtime principal Edward Jerome. A school superintendent for most of his career, Mr. Dulac first came to the Vineyard in January 2005 to serve as interim superintendent. He did not apply for the Vineyard superintendent position, which later went to Mr. Weiss.

Mr. Dulac could not be reached for comment yesterday.