Oak Bluffs police last Friday arrested a 33-year-old native of Ireland after he reportedly stole a laptop computer and cash on separate occasions from a man who had hired him to paint his home.

Gerard McSteen, also known as Jerrod McSteen, was apprehended by Falmouth police as he disembarked from the ferry in Woods Hole before being turned over to the Oak Bluffs police.

Mr. McSteen was charged with larceny over $250, larceny from a building, two counts of breaking and entering in the daytime with the intent to commit a felony and larceny by check under $250. He was arraigned in Edgartown district court on Monday and was released on $250 bail with a return date of March 6.

Police received a report last Thursday from a man who said a laptop computer and $600 had been stolen from his home. The next day, the victim called police again to report that a man he had previously hired to do some painting around the house, later identified as Mr. McSteen, was spotted going around the Island trying to sell the stolen laptop computer.

The victim told police that Mr. McSteen was also planning to leave the Island to return to Ireland.

Oak Bluffs police quickly learned that Mr. McSteen, who did odd jobs around the Island and also worked as a disc jockey, was planning to travel on the noon ferry which was scheduled to depart shortly. Police then obtained a booking sheet and photograph of Mr. McSteen and called Falmouth police to request they check the ferry when it arrived in Woods Hole.

Falmouth officers encountered Mr. McSteen walking off the gangplank and advised him that the Oak Bluffs police were trying to locate him for questioning regarding a missing laptop computer. Mr. McSteen was then placed into custody until Oak Bluffs detective Nick Curelli and officer Dan Cassidy arrived on the next boat to take him back to the Vineyard.

Mr. McSteen was questioned by police and admitted to stealing the laptop as well as $600 in cash during a separate occasion from the victim’s home. Police learned that Mr. McSteen was planning to board a bus to Logan Airport and take a 7 p.m. flight back home to Ireland.

According to police, Mr. McSteen has open cases pending in Edgartown district court and Somerville district court.