A bench trial for a Boston man charged with rape adjourned for the weekend Thursday afternoon. The trial, which stems from an incident in Chilmark nearly a year ago involving an alleged assault on an Island woman, will resume Tuesday in Dukes County Superior Court.

Bryant K. Brown, 34, is charged with three counts of rape, three counts of assault to rape, five counts of assault and battery on a retarded person, indecent assault and battery on a person 14 or over and threat to commit a crime.

In opening arguments Monday morning before the Hon. Gary A. Nickerson, Cape and Islands assistant district attorney Laura Marshard and defense attorney Anthony R. Ellison presented different versions of what happened on May 27 and 28, 2012.

According to both attorneys, Mr. Brown and his fiance, Latoya Gatlin, came to the Vineyard for a vacation and rented a cottage at the Menemsha Inn. They also rented a yellow Corvette and on the evening of May 27 they went to Oak Bluffs.

Ms. Marshard said the couple met the alleged victim there and offered her a ride around the block in the Corvette. She said they ended up in Chilmark and after Mr. Brown’s girlfriend allegedly passed out on the second floor of the cottage, Mr. Brown performed “repeated sexual offenses and violence,” the district attorney said. The alleged victim left and walked miles on North Road before she was able to get cell reception and call 911.

Mr. Ellison said Mr. Brown and Ms. Gatlin were on the Island to “spend a romantic weekend together.” He said after meeting the alleged victim in Oak Bluffs, she went back to Menemsha with them. The couple went to sleep upstairs, he said, leaving the alleged victim on the couch with a blanket. Mr. Brown later heard something downstairs “that caused him to put her out of the cottage immediately,” he said, though he didn’t say what occurred.

The defense attorney also described physical evidence in the case that he said will clear Mr. Brown.

The judge has heard testimony from several people, including the alleged victim, now 29, who took the stand Monday. She gave her own version of events, and she also testified that a few months before the incident she had brain surgery for epilepsy and brain seizures.