A salvage company used cranes to lift a 42-foot sport fishing vessel off Lobsterville Beach Sunday evening, one day after it caught fire and burned outside Menemsha Harbor. Local harbor masters rescued seven people from the burning vessel, minutes before fire consumed the vessel.

Boat was towed to Lobsterville Beach. — Taylor Mills Ahearn

Coast Guard officials said no injuries were reported.

The Ocean Yachts 42 named The Shark Bite reportedly was returning to Menemsha after a fishing trip. The vessel was part of a large flotilla from the Point Independence Yacht Club in Onset, a favorite port of recreational boaters.

According to Menemsha harbor master Dennis Jason, the fiberglass boat was approaching the jetty leading into the harbor when the owner and captain, Michael Mobilia of Plymouth, noticed white smoke coming from below.

Boat that caught fire was sport boat, the Coast Guard said. — David Damroth

“To their credit, they didn’t come in,” said Mr. Jason, who took the distress call on his VHF radio. “I recognized the voice of one of the people. He said ‘I think we have a problem.’ I could tell by the voice and the tension in it there was really something going on.”

Mr. Jason and assistant harbor master Glenn DeBlase responded immediately. When they arrived the fire was still smoldering. Mr. Jason helped two adults and three children off the bow of the boat and took them ashore.

Mr. Mobilia and a friend stayed aboard, believing they could put out the smoky fire with extinguishers.

By coincidence, Gosnold harbor master Bill Benns was on his way to Menemsha from Nashawena, one of the Elizabeth islands. From his boat, Pictor, he could see the fire spreading.

“I could see the engine room vents on the side of the bow,” Mr. Benns said. “I could see flames. At this point there was black smoke starting to fill the cabin. They didn’t see the flames because the flames were in the engine room. He didn’t realize it was on fire.”

Mr. Benns quickly maneuvered his boat’s stern against the burning vessel.

“I said you guys gotta get off the boat,” said Mr. Benns. He said Mr. Mobilia had one more fire extinguisher and still thought he could put the fire out.

“I said dude, it’s done, you’re on fire, get on the boat,” Mr. Benns said. “In less than a minute, the flames were up in the cabin, the cockpit and up on the flying bridge. Everything but the bow was on fire.”

Mr. Jason returned with more fire extinguishers, and a crew from U.S. Coast Guard Station Menemsha responded with a 47-foot motor life boat. Once the people were safely evacuated they stood off, in the event of an explosion.

Once the Coast Guard determined it was safe to approach, crews began pouring water on the vessel.

Mr. Jason said he also approached.

“I didn’t want it sinking in the channel, so we went in and Glenn picked up the anchor they dropped,” he said. They towed the damaged boat to Lobsterville Beach, where the Aquinnah and Chilmark fire departments took over.

Mr. Jason said it appeared the fire began in the boat’s electrical wiring.

“They couldn’t locate exactly where it was smoldering,” he said. “It was behind the electrical panel and hard to get at.”