Henry Beetle Hough’s book Martha’s Vineyard Summer Resort 1835–1935 tells us that a farm in Oak Bluffs was first promoted by Edward Mulligan as the site for a golf course. His view was that the month of May had a favorable enough climate for fans from Florida to come and participate in the activity.

The ironically named Mulligan, one of the first to have a car on the Island, abandoned his plans when the car was involved in an accident that killed a farmer and he sold his interest to Lyman W. Beese, who founded the Oak Bluffs Country Club in 1910. Since then, golf has gone through several iterations and name changes due to the combination of interest in the game and finances.

Early on our middle class vacation resort wasn’t as populated with wealthier folks with the leisurely gift of free time, and for many years the club served as the Martha’s Vineyard Country Club. The original building is where Lola’s is today and hole number one is today’s number 13.

Upon a sale in 1953 to James Boyle the club was updated to include facilities for tennis and shuffle board and the construction of a 28-foot by 64-foot swimming pool with depths from three and a half feet to nine and a half feet, to accommodate for divers. The dining room was designed for banquets, receptions, teas and other private functions.

In May 1956, according to an article in New Bedford’s Standard-Times, retired heavy weight boxing champion Rocky Marciano was on hand for the festivities occasioned by the opening of the newly completed facilities and pool, hosted by the new operators, the Corkin brothers, who had leased the club. Several officials were in attendance, including state representative Joseph Sylvia (of Joseph Sylvia State Beach), OB postmaster Robert Hughes, OB chief of police Herb Combra and others.

In 1962, Ed Barmakian, uncle of our board of selectmen chairman Gail Barmakian, set a club record with a score of 66 that included 12 pars, five birdies and a bogie. According to reports in the Gazette, kindly and self-effacing uncle Barmakian led the club for several years. In 1963, when it was renamed the Island Country Club, a drive by the late Anthony Rebello was greatly assisted when a seagull snatched the ball in the air and dropped it more than 360 yards away on the green —which must be the best ball in the history of the club. No surprise that his son Todd has three holes in one on the course.

A part of a Gazette editorial in July 1974 lyrically proclaimed the quandary of the cost and practicality of golf versus the need for a new but not inexpensive course that developers were building called Waterview Farms near Farm Neck. The prophecy proved correct, so even with pledges of the committed and after spending a half million dollars on its construction, alas, the next half was unobtainable and in 1977 its death knell was public.

Fortunately new operators and owners of the Island Country Club were able to coalesce around a private-public entity in 1979 called Farm Neck Golf Club, a championship club enjoyed by two sitting U.S. Presidents and their celebrity friends, many with more recognition than a former heavy weight champ.

The Wind Festival is Saturday at 10:30 at Ocean Park, and remember next Saturday, Sept. 17, is Tivoli Day from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Circuit avenue. Our annual free event has live entertainment, food, arts and leftover T-shirts. Jena’s Ring Challenge is the same day at the Flying Horses.

The Oak Bluffs Planning Board has a bunch of save the dates upcoming. I understand there is a presentation next Thursday (Sept. 15) about an inventory of the condition of all Oak Bluffs town buildings.

Other dates involve the town creating a Housing Production Plan (HPP), a proactive means with which to assess the needs, goals, and strategies for housing decisions. There’s a link on the OB website to mvcommission.org/housing-production-plan with more information. MacGregor Anderson, the board’s clerical assistant, has the workshops about the future of housing in Oak Bluffs, facilitated by an outside professional organization, scheduled for the Wednesdays of Sept. 21, Nov. 16, and Dec. 14, all at 4 p.m. at The Loft at Dreamland since our town hall cannot accommodate it.

The Tuesday, Sept. 13 selectmen’s meeting is about mopeds. Let’s help them become an anachronism.

Yes, Farm Pond’s Blaze left before last week’s faux storm and mom Vanessa followed. Safe travels to our Farm pond sea monsters — and their guardian Amelie.

Keep your foot on a rock.

Send Oak Bluffs news to sfinley@mvgazette.com.