It was payback time for the Vineyarders as the MVRHS boys soccer team beat the Norton Lancers on Saturday night in the early rounds of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association Division 3 tournament. In a dynamic and suspenseful game that left Island fans hoarse and joyful, the Vineyarders defeated their 2015 nemeses 2-1.

“They beat us last year, so this was retribution,” said center midfielder Nevin Wallis as the seventh-seed Vineyard team celebrated its win over tenth-seed Norton, the defending division champs. Wallis, a senior, scored the game’s first goal, late in the first period. The winning goal, in the final minutes of the second period, came from forward Spencer Dario, a junior.

Nainoa Cooperrider looks to make a move. — Mark Lovewell

Soccer families turned out in force for the team’s last home game of the season, filling the bleachers and lining the fence along the field below. Full-throated cheers and chants of “Let’s go Vineyard!” and “I believe we can win this game!” filled the air. An Edgartown fire engine cycled its lights with every home goal, while also supporting one of their own, Vineyard goalie and student firefighter trainee Joao Goncalves. A small tribe of ball boys took advantage of the half-time break to practice shots on goal.

“We really appreciate the soccer community,” Coach Esteban Aranzabe said. “I saw many, many youth soccer players there, with their parents.”

The Vineyarders played a fast and aggressive game throughout, besieging Norton’s goalie again and again while allowing only one goal in return. “We dictated the style of play,” said Mr. Aranzabe after the game. “I’m so proud of them because they didn’t give up,” he added.

Last year, the Lancers stopped the Vineyarders, 2-0, from advancing in the Division 3 tournament. Now it is the Island team that advances, playing Dover-Sherborn High School’s Raiders in Dover, on Monday afternoon.

Midfielder Owen Hess, a senior, pulled a leg muscle during Saturday’s game and was helped off the field, but Mr. Aranzabe said he “absolutely” will be able to play on Monday.

The team bus, with two fan buses, will depart at noon for the 3:30 p.m. contest.