A second cold-stunned Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle is on the mend after it was rescued on the Chappaquiddick side of Norton Point Beach during Saturday’s northeaster.

The first cold-stunned Kemp’s Ridley washed ashore in late November in the same general location as the turtle that was found Saturday.

The Saturday rescue was made by Justin Lavigne, a ranger for the Trustees of Reservations, who brought it to Island naturalist Gus Ben David in Edgartown. “This one was more active than the first one that came in,” Mr. Ben David told the Gazette Monday. “The first one that came in, the average person would’ve thought he was dead, I could detect some movement, but this guy was actually moving a lot in comparison,” he added.

Kemp’s Ridley sea turtles are some of the smallest and also the most endangered species of sea turtle in the world. They reach about two feet in length and weigh up to 100 pounds. Their habitat ranges from Nova Scotia to the Gulf of Mexico. For the turtles that venture north, their southern migration can prove to be perilous if they don’t leave before the water temperatures begin to drop.

“Once it gets below 60 and down there near 50 they can’t even swim anymore and they get washed ashore,” Mr. Ben David said.

Saturday’s storm had a major impact on Kemp’s Ridley turtles off the coast of Cape Cod. Karen Dourdeville, sea turtle stranding coordinator for the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, said 85 cold-stunned turtles were rescued from the shores of Cape Cod Beaches on Sunday.

Ms. Dourdeville said the wildlife sanctuary has rescued more than 600 sea turtles from Cape and Islands beaches this year. She said the most they’ve ever rescued in a year was more than 1,200 turtles in 2014.

“It’s very much wind-driven and somewhat currents too but more wind,” Ms. Dourdeville said, explaining the turtle stranding events.

The turtle rescued at Norton Point warmed up overnight at Mr. Ben David’s on Sunday. On Monday morning he secured it in a box and took it to the ferry in Vineyard Haven. A volunteer from the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary met the ferry in Woods Hole, collected the turtle from the luggage cart and took it to the New England Aquarium animal rehabilitation and care facility in Quincy.

Mr. Ben David said every time he brings an animal to the Steamship Authority for transport across the Sound, he first checks in with the ticket agent at the ramp.

“I always check with the agent to make sure everything’s okay and let them know what’s going on,” he said.

On Monday morning, he was not only greeted by the ticket agent but also the captain of the ferry Island Home.

“When I said I had another turtle to go on the cart, the captain said, ‘Gus, do you want me to take it upstairs and ride with me?’” Mr. Ben David recounted.

Mr. Ben David said he told the captain that wouldn’t be necessary but it was kind of him to offer.

“The authority has always been great to me whenever I need help transporting something,” he said.