A Vineyard Haven man is facing criminal charges after leading police on a multi-town, high-speed chase that ended with him crashing into a utility pole.

Zander Amaral, 19, of Vineyard Haven was arraigned on Oct. 13 charges in Vineyard Haven of drunken driving, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, marked lanes violation, speeding and failure to stop for police. Mr. Amaral was also arraigned on separate charges in Edgartown of negligent operation of a motor vehicle, marked lanes violation, failure to stop for police and speeding.

The Hon. Benjamin Barnes set bail at $200 for the charges in Vineyard Haven, and no bail for the charges in Edgartown.

The incident began at approximately midnight on Thursday, Oct. 13, when Edgartown police officer William Oteri noticed a white pickup truck traveling at a high rate of speed in the area of Bend in the Road, according to a police report filed in court. The officer followed the truck back through the Edgartown Triangle before observing it continue on the Edgartown-Vineyard Haven Road. Officer Oteri followed the truck at a speed of 80 miles per hour before observing the vehicle drive through the roundabout, the report states. He then terminated the chase at the request of his superiors, the report states.

Tisbury and Oak Bluffs police officers were then alerted to the incident, and observed the vehicle traveling through both towns at high rates of speed, police reports state. Eventually police were alerted to a crash at 338 Edgartown-Vineyard Haven road in Tisbury, and found Mr. Amaral outside the vehicle with minor injuries, police reports state.

Assistant district attorney Michael Kelliher said on Thursday that Mr. Amaral was observed by police with glassy, bloodshot eyes and slurred speech, and that his vehicle was found approximately 100 yards further in the woods. Advocating for Judge Barnes to revoke bail, Mr. Kelliher said that Mr. Amaral was also involved in a high-speed accident in August that led to injury.

“The commonwealth would ask that you revoke the defendant’s bail based on the danger that he poses society with both these accidents, and the high-speed chase over 100 miles an hour on the Island roads,” Mr. Kelliher said.

Defense attorney Ryan Searle said that Mr. Amaral was employed full time at Shirley’s Hardware and lived with his grandmother, and noted that the accident led to no serious injuries nor property damage.

Judge Barnes allowed a motion from Mr. Kelliher to revoke Mr. Amaral’s bail for charges stemming from the previous car accident, based upon Mr. Amaral’s violation of bail conditions. The motion allows Mr. Amaral to be held for up to 90 days.

A pre-trial hearing in the case is scheduled for Nov. 14.