Glynis J. Bean, 47, Was Katama Summer Resident

Dr. Glynis J. Bean, 47, died of lung cancer complications surrounded by her children and husband and close family friends at home in North Wales, Pa., on Sept. 20. Throughout her life, Dr. Bean summered on the Vineyard in her family home, "Katama A" at 22 Smith's Way, Katama. In the 35 months between cancer diagnosis and death, Dr. Bean and her family were able to spend a great deal of time on the Vineyard, from which the family cruised their ketch Gwinllan, moored in Katama Bay.

Dr. Bean is survived by her husband, Tad Thompson, 50, and children Reece Thompson, 14, and Claire Thompson, 11. She is also survived by her mother, Lucille Bean. Glynis Bean's father, Leonard (Bob) Bean, died of lung cancer in 2002, and her sister, Valerie Livingstone, died of breast cancer in 2001. None of these family members were smokers.

Dr. Bean was born on Nov. 18, 1956, in Concord. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1974 from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, and then attended Temple University in Philadelphia. There she received a Master's degree and a Ph.D. in social psychology. She received the degree at a younger age than anyone in the history of the program. Her Ph.D. thesis related to women working in society. At the time of her shocking diagnosis in Oct. 2001, Dr. Bean was the executive vice president of the pharmaceutical market research firm, TVG, Inc., Fort Washington, Pa.

In 1962 the Beans acquired a piece of property overlooking Katama Bay from a friend, Tommy Smith. They built a summer home there, which remains with Dr. Bean's family.

In the early 1950s, Bob Bean founded the Masons chapter of Bedford, and was a leader in Masons throughout his life. He was a lighting engineer and designed lighting systems for theaters and other such facilities around New England. Lucille graduated in Education from Salem State College, received a Master's degree from the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, and taught kindergarten from her home, then, after her own children went to school, as elementary school teacher for a total of 40 years.

Bob Bean was born in Bristol, England, and Lucille (Meuse) Bean was raised in Wakefield. Glynis had an older sister, Valerie, who was born in 1953. The family resided in Bedford.

Bob and Lucille met in Nova Scotia during World War II. Bob was serving in the Royal Air Force, based near Yarmouth, while Lu was visiting her Meuse relatives, who had befriended Bob.

Dr. Bean and Tad Thompson were married on July 5, 1986 in a historic Presbyterian Church in Marietta, Ga.

Dr. Bean traveled extensively for business in the United States and abroad.

The family not only sailed from Martha's Vineyard in the summertime, but traveled to England, France, The Bahamas, Caribbean islands, Guatemala, Hawaii and Australia.

Tad Thompson is a freelance writer-photographer, specializing in the international fresh produce business, although he is an occasional contributor on the topics of Martha's Vineyard and sailing for Soundings and Martha's Vineyard magazines.

Dr. Bean's exciting and good life began to crumble in early 2001, when Bob Bean was diagnosed with lung cancer.

Days after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Glynis' sister, Val, entered the hospital to deal with the re-emergence of a decade-old breast cancer diagnosis. Glynis spent the better part of three weeks in a New Hampshire hospital with Val, before her death on Oct. 6, 2001. After Val's funeral Glynis eventually addressed a nagging back ache. On Saturday, Oct. 20, 2001 she received a phone call that she had Stage IV lung cancer, which had metastasized to her brain, spine and hip. After the diagnosis, she never returned to work at TVG.

Glynis was expected to live for no more than a few months to a year. Because she was young and otherwise healthy, atop being intensely determined, she responded well to medical treatments and far outlived her prognosis. The long medical saga included intensive doses of chemotherapy, radiation; brain surgery in March 2003, and "major-major" back surgery in May 2004. While she chose to fight cancer at every turn, by June 2004 the medical community told Glynis that there were no effective weapons left to stop the cancerous onslaught. Her friends and family took her to the Vineyard for one last visit in July and August 2004.

Her cremated remains will be spread at the Vineyard.

In lieu of flowers, Dr. Bean requested that donations be sent in her memory to: ACLASE , 500 West 8th street, Suite 240, Vancouver, WA 98660.