Main Street Changes

Vincent’s Paper Store in Vineyard Haven, for generations a landmark at the corner of Main and Center streets, is about to be moved to the Call Block, so called, the location of the summer shop known as Ken-Ward. Anthony Oliver, managing owner, announced the date for removal this week, as of Dec. 1. It was no surprise locally, as the new location has been in process of being readied for some weeks.

Read More

Cronig's Celebrates 100 Years of Feeding the Vineyard Community
Louisa Hufstader
When Sam Cronig and his three brothers opened their Vineyard Haven market in March 1917, the world was still at war in Europe.
Read More

Old Landmarks

Among the old landmarks of Vineyard Haven, the most interesting one is the old mill; first built “up island,” then moved to Edgartown, and finally to Vineyard Haven to the spot where Association Hall now stands. Later, it was purchased by Dea. Tristram Luce and moved to the land where Capt. Owen Tilton’s house now stands. In 1883 it was purchased by Col. Carey and retained its individuality till 1886, when Major Carey had it moved to its present position; and it’s now a component part of the Major’s cottage, - and the old mill has lost its identity.

Read More

Tashmoo Golf Links
Vineyard Gazette

The much talked of golf links near Tashmoo, Vineyard Haven, has become a reality. The course was laid out by Mr. Alex. H. Findlay, the celebrated New England expert, and is 2,100 yards in length, 9 holes, starting near the pumping station. Mr. Findlay is of the opinion it is one of the prettiest runs in Massachusetts, and by some little work can be made as good as any in the country. Mr. Samuel Look, who owns most of the land upon which the course is laid, is commended on all sides for his public spirit in donating the use of the land.

Read More

At Mansion House, It’s All in the Family
Louisa Hufstader

In the mid-1980s, the historic hotel at the head of Main street Vineyard Haven was called the Tisbury Inn, and it had seen better days. The Goldsteins saw an opportunity.

Read More

History Revisited
Tucked away off Cromwell Lane in downtown Vineyard Haven, the Caleb Prouty house is a vestige of a bygone era, one of the few survivors of the Great Fire of 1883 that destroyed most of downtown Vineyard Haven.
Read More

Mansion House Sold
Vineyard Gazette
The Mansion House, Vineyard Haven, has been sold to George H. Heeley of Providence, R. I., through the real estate office of Henry V. Sanders of New Bedford.
 
Read More

Tower of History: Stone Church Readies for a Facelift
Holly Pretsky
Trustees for the United Methodist Church in Vineyard Haven plan to restore the interior structure of the church tower, including its nearly century-old clock and brass bell.
Read More

Historic Sale Will Protect A Landmark
Mark Alan Lovewell
An Island museum and landmark changed hands on Patriots Day. The museum of the Sea Coast Defense Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, a little white building on upper Main street in Vineyard Haven, has turned over to Martha’s Vineyard Historical Preservation Society. The museum is a repository of memorabilia going back generations, to the Island’s whaling days.
 
Read More

Tisbury To Form A Yacht Club
Vineyard Gazette
A dream which many Vineyard Haven people have cherished for years is about to be realized in the establishment of a yacht club in that town. Between fifteen and twenty boats have already been ordered and about fifty persons are ready to sign the club articles as members as soon as the organization is incorporated.
 
Quarters on the waterfront are to be obtained and put in condition for the use of the club before next season and all lovers of water sports, ships and salt water are filled with enthusiasm.
 
Read More

Pages