The Newes from America pub in Edgartown was closed Thursday after firefighters responded to a small appliance fire at the downtown restaurant.

Edgartown firefighters responded to the pub shortly after 10 a.m. after a fire ignited in a clothes dryer, officials said. The fire was contained to the appliance and duct work inside the building, officials said.

Fire chief Peter Shemeth, right, said it is always a concern to hear about a fire in downtown area. — Mark Lovewell

The kitchen staff preparing for lunch discovered the dryer in flames, and put the fire out with several fire extinguishers.

Edgartown fire chief Peter Shemeth said the quick action by pub employees might have saved a disaster. He said it’s always a concern to receive a call for an active fire in a congested downtown block.

“Especially when it’s one of the older buildings,” Chief Shemeth said. “We dodged a bullet. They hit it with a couple of fire extinguishers, then we went in to make sure there was no extension. Now it’s just a matter of clearing the smoke and toxic gases out of the building.”

Because of the downtown location of the fire, Chief Shemeth activated the Island wide mutual aid agreement. Firefighters from Oak Bluffs responded to the fire with equipment, while crews from West Tisbury mobilized trucks to cover Edgartown fire stations in case needed to respond to another incident.

A small amount of smoke was still drifting out of the building and a slight burning smell hung in the air shortly after firefighters responded.

The Newes is part of the Kelley House Hotel off North Water street. Built in 1742, the hotel is one of the oldest commercial structures on Martha’s Vineyard.

Kelley House spokesman Elizabeth Rothwell lauded the fire department response.

“The Kelley House would like to thank the Edgartown Fire Department and emergency personnel for their quick response,” Ms. Rothwell said. “We will be closed for today at The Newes From America.”

The year-round restaurant reopened in September after a three-month closure because of a pipe failure.