Two Steamship Authority freight boats were taken out of service Saturday, leading to a reshuffling of boats and crews through Sunday.

The first to be sidelined was the M/V Katama, where a deck hatch failed shortly after noon Saturday, SSA spokesman Sean Driscoll said Monday.

The vessel was at the Oak Bluffs terminal when the hatch failed, Mr. Driscoll told the Gazette. The noon boat from Woods Hole to Oak Bluffs, M/V Nantucket, idled off the terminal for several minutes before diverting to Vineyard Haven.

Taken to the boat line’s maintenance facility in Fairhaven for repair, the Katama was replaced on the schedule by the M/V Sankaty, which was on standby status at Fairhaven, Mr. Driscoll said.

Then the Sankaty lost power to one of its two main generators Saturday night, leading the crew to switch to the second, functioning generator to bring the freight ferry to Woods Hole, where it was taken out of service, Mr. Driscoll said.

But there was no room at the terminal for other SSA ferries to dock until the crew of the M/V Governor, which had ended its daily runs, returned to Woods Hole to put their boat back in service, making room for the last returning ferries from Vineyard Haven, he said.

“We only had one slip in Woods Hole available, so that would throw off the whole works,” Mr. Driscoll said.

To complete their scheduled runs, the vessels ran late into Saturday night, followed by cancellations of their first Sunday trips so crews could receive their mandatory rest hours, as required by U.S. Coast Guard regulations.

The ferry Island Home also had to skip its first scheduled trip to the Island Sunday morning, because it had to berth overnight in Vineyard Haven. Customers for the canceled trips were carried aboard other vessels, Mr. Driscoll said.

The Sankaty was cleared for operation by the U.S. Coast Guard around 5 p.m. Sunday after repairs by SSA maintenance workers, he said.

There was no word Monday morning on when Katama would be fit for service.

“We were focused on getting the Sankaty up because . . . it was parked in a slip that we couldn’t use,” Mr. Driscoll said.