Town Bar & Grill in Edgartown will be required to close an hour early until at least August 1 after multiple incidents where police were called to the Upper Main street establishment.

A public hearing to review the restaurant’s liquor license took place at the Edgartown select board meeting Tuesday. The hearing was triggered by two incidents in February and March where police had to be called to the restaurant. According to a letter from town administrator James Hagerty to Town manager Alex Tamargo, the restaurant has been on thin ice with the select board since at least September of last year, when the board issued a warning after it leaned of repeated noise complaints and potential violations of the restaurant’s entertainment license.

The restaurant, which is open until midnight during the summer season, will be required to close at 11 p.m., the board decided.

Mr. Tamargo and Edgartown police chief Bruce McNamee both testified at the hearing. Board Michael Donaroma recused himself due to contracts his business, Donaroma’s Nursery, Landscaping and Floral Design has with the owners of Town.

“It is a restaurant. It’s not a bar, it’s not a nightclub,” selectman Arthur Smadbeck said. “These incidents are more like what happens at a bar or nightclub. I don’t think it’s good for the town, for everybody involved.”

Police reports provided to the Gazette detail the incidents. In February police responded to a call about a fight between patrons and multiple restaurant employees. The report noted that the employees in the fight were intoxicated as well as the patrons.

“I do believe that if the staff had not been intoxicated, perhaps a more civil outcome may have occurred,” the report, written by officer Ryan Ruley said.

In March a guest at the Edgar Hotel, which adjoins the restaurant, called police about loud music coming from the restaurant at roughly 3 a.m., well after closing time. Police arrived on the scene and observed three Town employees drinking inside the restaurant, according to a report.

At the hearing Chief McNamee mentioned a third incident involving the restaurant, but said the case is under investigation and did not give any details.

“This isn’t conduct that we would expect in Edgartown from any facility,” the chief said. “I’ve been your chief for four years and we’ve never had to have a hearing like this before.”

Mr. Tamargo said two employees, whom he did not name, have been fired as a result of the incidents, and he apologized to the board.

“It’s just something that we don’t want to be a part of. We are a family friendly restaurant,” Mr. Tamargo said. “Yes, we have a bar and yes we have the industry crowd and folks in season who want to drink with us until midnight, but we tow the line correctly and these unfortunate bad apples ruined it for all of us.”

In other business Tuesday, in their annual reorganization, board members elected Margaret Serpa as the new chairman.