Society Wages Campaign for Lighthouses
Ethan Kelley
Lighthouses define the character of Martha’s Vineyard. They guide people from land and sea to the same shorelines, sheltering them under beacons of home.
 
Today, the Island’s lighthouses are deteriorating. Bricks are crumbling in the breeze, and iron is flaking away in the salt air. Before long, these landmarks could be reduced to brittle, rotting shells.
 
Read More

Half the Job is Done; the Gay Head Lens Is Brought to New Home at the Historical Society
Vineyard Gazette
When the good ship Uncle Toby brought the new Fresnel lens to New York and the lens was subsequently deposited at the Edgartown wharf, almost a hundred years ago, little did the drivers, or anyone else for that matter, dream that the forty yoke oxen employed to transport the lens across the Island to Gay Head would not be the last agents to ever move the sixty frames of glass prisms and the multitudinous collection of machinery necessary to operate the light. This week all of these things were back in Edgartown.
 
Read More

Women Run Away With Top Spots in Gay Head 10K
Louisa Hufstader

The top three finishers in Sunday’s Gay Head 10K road race were all women. Molly Seidel of Watertown was the winner.

Read More

Museum Stays the Course With Fresnel Lens
Alex Elvin

The historic Fresnel lens that once sat atop the Gay Head Light will not be moved to Aquinnah.

Read More

Selectmen Agree to Put Fresnel Lens Question Before Voters
Alex Elvin

A group of Aquinnah residents who want to bring the original lens from the Gay Head Light home to Aquinnah brought their case before the town selectmen this week.

Read More

Aquinnah Wants Gay Head Light Lens to Come Home
Alex Elvin

A plan by the Martha’s Vineyard Museum to relocate from Edgartown to Vineyard Haven has caused rumblings on the other side of the Island, where a number of people are now calling for the original 19th-century lens that sat atop the Gay Head Light in Aquinnah to return home.

Read More

A Trip To Gay Head: The Light
Vineyard Gazette
The tower on which the light stands, which seemed at a distance to be white, is in reality red, being made of pressed brick, and capped with freestone; it is forty feet high, and surmounted by an iron frame in which is set the glass of the outer lantern; through the centre passes a large circular iron shaft, on the top of which stands the cylinder containing the oil, and around which revolves the lantern itself.
 
The ascent is made by three sets of iron stairs, each resting on a floor of solid stone nearly a foot thick; on the first of these floors rests a long wooden
Read More

Museum Receives Grant for Fresnel Lens Relocation

The Martha’s Vineyard Museum has received a $109,040 grant to move the historic 1854 Gay Head Lighthouse Fresnel lens from Edgartown to Vineyard Haven.

Read More

Cost Estimate to Restore Gay Head Light Soars
Alex Elvin

The company that moved the Gay Head Light last year has outlined a major two-phase restoration project for the historic lighthouse, at a cost of about $1.3 million — more than triple the amount budgeted.

Read More

New Light at Gay Head
Vineyard Gazette
Notice to Mariners. - The new light at Gay Head will be exhibited at sunset on December 1st, 1856, and will be kept burning during every night thereafter from sunset to sunrise. The focal plane of the light is 43 feet above the ground and 170 feet above the level of the sea. The tower is of brick, colored brown, and stands about 12 feet from the centre of the rear of the dwelling houses, with which it is connected. The lantern is painted black. The dwelling houses are brick color.
Read More

Pages