Old Landmarks

Among the old landmarks of Vineyard Haven, the most interesting one is the old mill; first built “up island,” then moved to Edgartown, and finally to Vineyard Haven to the spot where Association Hall now stands. Later, it was purchased by Dea. Tristram Luce and moved to the land where Capt. Owen Tilton’s house now stands. In 1883 it was purchased by Col. Carey and retained its individuality till 1886, when Major Carey had it moved to its present position; and it’s now a component part of the Major’s cottage, - and the old mill has lost its identity.

Read More

Resembles House of Whaling Master
Vineyard Gazette

The new telephone building at Vineyard Haven, which is now nearing completion so far as the exterior is concerned, marks the passing of an epoch in the Island history of the telephone and the beginning of a new one.

With the completion of this building and the transfer of the offices and plant of the company to its new quarters, the common battery system will be put into operation in the towns of Vineyard Haven and Oak Bluffs, and all connections between the Vineyard Haven office and Boston will be by cable.

Read More

Following the Path of History at the Thomas Cooke House
Maia Coleman
For three years now, the museum has been hard at work restoring the historic Thomas Cooke house property, the site of its original campus, as a public green-space and satellite campus.
Read More

Federated Church Prevails in Intricate Case Over Parsonage
Julia Wells

The Federated Church in Edgartown won a legal victory this week in a knotty case over its ownership of the South Water street parsonage that was willed to the church more than 60 years ago.

Read More

History Revisited
Tucked away off Cromwell Lane in downtown Vineyard Haven, the Caleb Prouty house is a vestige of a bygone era, one of the few survivors of the Great Fire of 1883 that destroyed most of downtown Vineyard Haven.
Read More

Commission Wrestles With Historic House Dilemma
Noah Asimow
As Stop & Shop mulls redevelopment plans for a new Vineyard Haven store, it wants to demolish the Caleb Prouty House.
Read More

Demolition of Historic House Comes Under Scrutiny
Holly Pretsky

The demolition of a house believed to be one of the oldest homes in Vineyard Haven has stirred shock and confusion.

Read More

Through the Years of the Vineyard Trust

The history of the Vineyard Trust comes to life this week on the Time Machine, the Gazette’s online display of Vineyard history.

Read More

Dana Place Sold
Vineyard Gazette
The Lester H. Dana place, with its beautiful contemporary house on the summit of Manter’s Hill, off Tea Lane, and fifty-five acres of land, has been sold by Mrs. Dana to Mrs. Julia Green Sturges of New York.
Read More

New Dwelling to Top Manter’s Hill, One of the Historic Properties of the Vineyard
Joseph Chase Allen
Manter’s Hill, a Chilmark landmark since the beginning of the Manor, will be crowned with a year-round dwelling of imposing size at some time in the near future. The house is to be built for Lester Dana of Boston, who is in the process of purchasing fifty-five acres of the old Manter Place from Philip Siff, and the building will be done by the William G. Manter Co. of Vineyard Haven. William F. Swift, Vineyard Haven engineer and surveyor, will be in charge of the whole operation.
 
Read More

Pages