Vineyard Gazette
Golf, which has become a popular American pastime, has this week made a start on the Vineyard, and Mr. B. S.
Golf
Vineyard Gazette
A golf club has been formed in town and named the Nashouohkamuk Golf Club, Nashouohkamuk being the old Indian name for Chilmark.
Golf
Chilmark History
Vineyard Gazette
Mr. Elmes, the proprietor of the links, announces that on Aug. 20, 21, and 22, he is arranging for a ladies’ and gentlemen’s golf tournament, open to all members of the club.
Golf
Vineyard Gazette
The Edgartown Golf and Tennis Club was organized this week, and starts off with a good list of members, which it is hoped will be much increased with the next month.
Golf
Edgartown History

1928

The newest of the Vineyard’s three golf courses is just two years old. Its nine greens checker some of the most beautiful of the rolling lands of Edgartown, well beyond the settled blocks of the town on the northwest, and overlooking Vineyard Sound, Trapp’s Pond and numerous bits of memorable landscape. In scenic quality the course was, from the start, unusual. In its technical development, from the standpoint of the golfer, it now has many claims to distinction.

1907

The Edgartown Golf Club has opened its “Pineside Links” for the season of 1907. The nine hole course measures 2,500 yards. Every effort will be made to render conditions the best possible. Membership fees entitling to full privileges for year, beginning June 1, are: Men, $4.00; Ladies, $2.00; Families, $10.00; Families and Transient Guests $12.00; Visitors 25c per day. “No game shall be played on Sunday.” The officers are: President, Mr. John R. Hanmer; Deputy Treasurer, Mr. C. F. Shurtleff; Secretary, Rev. F. M. Cutler.

1905

The Edgartown Golf and Tennis Club has opened its links at “Pineside,” a little to the north of upper Main street. The course is 2,540 yards long, and is, in the opinion of experts, an unusually successful reproduction of golfing condition on the downs of Scotland, where the game originated. A tennis court is projected for the near future. Membership in the Club, entitling one to all privileges, costs, for men $4.00, for women $2.00 and for children under fifteen $1.50 per year. Guests’ tickets may be had at 25c each. The treasurer is Mr. John E. White.

The Edgartown Golf and Tennis Club was organized this week, and starts off with a good list of members, which it is hoped will be much increased with the next month. Good grounds are to be secured, and it is going to be quite the correct thing to become a member and play golf this summer. The officers chosen temporarily are J. R. Hanmer, president, and John E. White, treasurer.

1901

Mr. Elmes, the proprietor of the links, announces that on Aug. 20, 21, and 22, he is arranging for a ladies’ and gentlemen’s golf tournament, open to all members of the club. There will be three prizes in each contest, consisting of English pewter mugs, ladies’ and gentlemen’s caddy bags, and gun metal putters. The prizes are ordered and will be on exhibition early next week in the drug store window. Now for good work; it requires practice and the score cards dated, to hand to the committee.

1899

A golf club has been formed in town and named the Nashouohkamuk Golf Club, Nashouohkamuk being the old Indian name for Chilmark. The club consists of ten members who are charter members and the following is the list; Almer M. Newhall, Orland S. Mayhew, Johnson Whiting, Clara W. Mayhew, Osgood N. Mayhew, James F. Adams, Emma V. Mayhew, Edwin W. Newhall, Jr., Inez P. Mayhew, Evelyn M. Adams.

The following officers have been chosen:

Pages