Julia Wells
Robert J. Carroll, a prominent Edgartown businessman, has sold all of his interest in the Kelley House and the Harbor View Hotel to Robert Welch and Stephen C.
History of the Harbor View
Harbor View Hotel
Kelley House
Virginia Poole
Elegant and proud as any schooner that sailed the neighboring waters, the Harbor View Hotel stands imposingly on the most fashionable street or historic Edgartown.  
History of the Harbor View
Harbor View Hotel
Noah Asimow
The Martha’s Vineyard Commission voted 9-5 late Thursday to allow the Harbor View Hotel to expand its Bradley Cottage into a 4,000-square-foot spa. But the approval came with a clear message from the MVC to the hotel, as commissioners tacked on a pile of strict conditions.
Martha's Vineyard Commission
Harbor View Hotel

1949

A formal agreement for the purchase of the Harbor View hotel at Edgartown has been signed, and the purchasing group for which Alfred Hall has been acting since the first agreement was executed a few weeks ago, will take title to the property in December. But work toward the renovation and rehabilitation of the hotel will begin at any time, Mr. Hall told the Gazette this week, with an expenditure of at least $50,000.
For the first time in more than fifty years, the Harbor View Hotel in Edgartown has changed hands. The Walker family has been in control of the property since 1898, seven years after its original opening. In that year, F. A. Douglass, the first owner of the Harbor View, sold two thirds of the interest in the hotel to Dr. T. G. Walker and L. T. Townsend, Dr. Walker later acquiring the entire property, which has been owned recently by his children, Mrs. Luther M.

1911

Dr. T. J. Walker, the owner of the Harbor view premises, in addition to extensive improvements going on all along the line, is having telephones installed in every lodging room in the hotel and cottages. Men from the Telephone Co. are doing the work, which we are told will occupy some weeks to complete.

1910

Dr. T. J. Walker, who lately bought the Katama hotel building, has contracted with George S. Norton to move intact the south end of the structure to the Doctor’s Harbor View premises at Starbuck’s Neck.

1899

A good season.
 
All good fortune attend the departing guests.
 
Come again, and Edgartown with enhanced charms will give you cordial welcome.
 
The tax bills for 1899 are now out, and everyone is correspondingly happy.
 
Hotel Harbor View is reported as having had the best year in the history of the house. Landlord and Mrs. Douglas are to be congratulated on modelly managing a model house.
 

1896

The Harbor View will open June 20, under its former manager, F. A. Douglas, of Winthrop. An addition is being built to the northeast side, which will enlarge the dining-room to about twice its former size, and will give a seating capacity of 120 persons. The piazzas are also being carried around the dining-room extension. The former small dining-room will be used for a ladies’ writing and reading room. John L.

Pages