Vineyard Gazette
Vincent’s Paper Store in Vineyard Haven, for generations a landmark at the corner of Main and Center streets, is about to be moved to the Call Block, so called, the location of the summer shop know
Tisbury History
Businesses
Vineyard Haven businesses
Louisa Hufstader
When Sam Cronig and his three brothers opened their Vineyard Haven market in March 1917, the world was still at war in Europe.
Cronigs Market Celebrates 100 Years
Cronigs Market
Businesses
Tisbury History

1996

The Tisbury fire, which began one summer evening in the very heart of downtown Vineyard Haven, destroyed 62 buildings valued at $200,000. Photographs of the center of the village the next morning show smears and patches of black spread across a grid of lanes and roads. Every store but one burned to the ground.
 

1986

An Island museum and landmark changed hands on Patriots Day. The museum of the Sea Coast Defense Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, a little white building on upper Main street in Vineyard Haven, has turned over to Martha’s Vineyard Historical Preservation Society. The museum is a repository of memorabilia going back generations, to the Island’s whaling days.
 

1954

Vincent’s Paper Store in Vineyard Haven, for generations a landmark at the corner of Main and Center streets, is about to be moved to the Call Block, so called, the location of the summer shop known as Ken-Ward. Anthony Oliver, managing owner, announced the date for removal this week, as of Dec. 1. It was no surprise locally, as the new location has been in process of being readied for some weeks.

1927

A dream which many Vineyard Haven people have cherished for years is about to be realized in the establishment of a yacht club in that town. Between fifteen and twenty boats have already been ordered and about fifty persons are ready to sign the club articles as members as soon as the organization is incorporated.
 
Quarters on the waterfront are to be obtained and put in condition for the use of the club before next season and all lovers of water sports, ships and salt water are filled with enthusiasm.
 

1922

The Mansion House, Vineyard Haven, has been sold to George H. Heeley of Providence, R. I., through the real estate office of Henry V. Sanders of New Bedford.
 

1898

The much talked of golf links near Tashmoo, Vineyard Haven, has become a reality. The course was laid out by Mr. Alex. H. Findlay, the celebrated New England expert, and is 2,100 yards in length, 9 holes, starting near the pumping station. Mr. Findlay is of the opinion it is one of the prettiest runs in Massachusetts, and by some little work can be made as good as any in the country. Mr. Samuel Look, who owns most of the land upon which the course is laid, is commended on all sides for his public spirit in donating the use of the land.

Pages