Vineyard Gazette
Vincent’s Paper Store in Vineyard Haven, for generations a landmark at the corner of Main and Center streets, is about to be moved to the Call Block, so called, the location of the summer shop know
Tisbury History
Vineyard Haven businesses
Louisa Hufstader
When Sam Cronig and his three brothers opened their Vineyard Haven market in March 1917, the world was still at war in Europe.
Cronigs Market Celebrates 100 Years
Cronigs Market
Tisbury History


The much talked of golf links near Tashmoo, Vineyard Haven, has become a reality. The course was laid out by Mr. Alex. H. Findlay, the celebrated New England expert, and is 2,100 yards in length, 9 holes, starting near the pumping station. Mr. Findlay is of the opinion it is one of the prettiest runs in Massachusetts, and by some little work can be made as good as any in the country. Mr. Samuel Look, who owns most of the land upon which the course is laid, is commended on all sides for his public spirit in donating the use of the land.


Among the old landmarks of Vineyard Haven, the most interesting one is the old mill; first built “up island,” then moved to Edgartown, and finally to Vineyard Haven to the spot where Association Hall now stands. Later, it was purchased by Dea. Tristram Luce and moved to the land where Capt. Owen Tilton’s house now stands. In 1883 it was purchased by Col. Carey and retained its individuality till 1886, when Major Carey had it moved to its present position; and it’s now a component part of the Major’s cottage, - and the old mill has lost its identity.


Vineyard Haven, Dec. 15. - Today has been a red letter day in the history of Vineyard Haven. The water works, the progress of which has awakened so much interest throughout the island, has been formally opened and the consummation of the enterprise celebrated in a manner commensurate with its importance. Vineyard Haven has a right to be proud, not only of its water system, but of the brilliant demonstration which signalized its completion, and of the creditable manner in which her citizens arose to a proper recognition of the occasion.


The submarine cable which is henceforth to connect us with the world, was safely and expeditiously put down on Wednesday forenoon last, between the hours of ten and twelve. It arrived at Holmes’ Hole on Tuesday. Before the cable had reached the Vineyard shore, and when mid way the Sound, communication was had with Boston. Communication was also had with the same place after the cable reached this side, thus proving it to be all right. While the cable was being laid quite a lively scene was presented off the West Chop, where numberless boats were passing to and fro.


The Bark Franklin, which arrived at Holmes Hole on the 12th inst, from Jacksonville, Florida, had a slave on board, who secreted himself in the hold, when the vessel was loading. During the night, while the vessel was lying at anchor, he took a boat, and made good his escape to the shore; since which his whereabouts have been known only to a select few. He was from 25 to 30 years of age. The Franklin was bound to Hallowell, Me.


THE NEW COUNTY ROAD, between Edgartown and Holmes Hole, is in a good state of forwardness; that portion lying within the Tisbury boundary, we believe, is entirely completed. We passed over the road a day or two since, and are free to confess that we consider this the greatest improvement to locomotion ever made on the island. Through a considerable portion of the route, the road is already as hard and as handsomely finished as any turnpike we ever passed over.