President Obama’s 15-day Martha’s Vineyard vacation came to an end Sunday night.

As the motorcade made the trip through the West Tisbury village just after darkness had fallen, a few onlookers stood waving their arms. Otherwise all was quiet on a late summer night. The President boarded Marine One at the Vineyard airport 8:29 p.m. and made the short hop to the Coast Guard air station in Bourne on Cape Cod, where he and Mrs. Obama shook hands with a group of officers from the Coast Guard and Air National Guard before boarding Air Force One for the trip back to Washington, D.C.

The President spent his last day on the Vineyard tucked out of sight in Chilmark where his family had been renting a home overlooking the north shore for the past two weeks.

The president’s vacation this year was marked by turmoil in the world and also closer to home, and he held a number of press briefings from the Vineyard: on escalating tensions and subsequent air strikes in Iraq, on the shooting in Ferguson, Mo., and on the murder of a U.S. journalist who had been kidnapped in Syria. In the final days of his vacation he came under strong criticism in the press for being so visible on the golf course with so many crises going on around him.

Compared with past vacations, the President was less visible this summer, his fifth vacation on the Island during his presidency. He ventured out to play golf frequently but went out for dinner and other activities less frequently. There have been fewer photographs of him.

On Sunday Lindsey Morris Provost and her husband were biking in the state forest in West Tisbury and came across a bit of public art created by some unknown artist: the U.S. Constitution and 10 amendments written out neatly in chalk on the bike path.

She and her husband carried a ladder through the woods and down the bike path to take pictures.

“I’m unsure of who took the time to do this but I assume it was in hopes of it being seen by the President,” Ms. Provost wrote in an email to the Gazette.