Edgartown firefighters quickly put out a fire in a guest house off Clevelandtown Road Sunday afternoon.

The call came in just before 5 p.m. Sunday. Fire chief Alex Schaeffer was among the first to arrive on the scene at 82 Schoolhouse Road.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

Chief Schaeffer said the house was engulfed in smoke and flames when firefighters arrived.

“It appeared to start from the outside,” he said. “We are doing further investigation to confirm that. Exactly what the cause of it was, we still have to go back and do some investigation. There were power lines involved but whether or not they were the cause, we’re still looking.”

Fire crews were able to hook into a hydrant near the home, quickly knocked down the flames on the exterior, then entered the home and knocked down more fire inside. Firefighters later reached the roof to be sure the fire was completely out.

The house is owned by Mack Mitchell, according to Edgartown assessor records.

There was extensive damage to the exterior and interior of the structure, Chief Schaeffer said.

Volunteer firefighters from Oak Bluffs provided mutual aid.

Chief Schaeffer said no one was hurt.

“Everybody is safe, going home, the way we like it,” he said.