Edgartown firefighters responded Wednesday afternoon to reports of smoke and a chimney fire at the Kelley House. No one was injured and there was no significant damage to the building.

Fire chief Alex Schaeffer said firefighters found evidence of what her termed inappropriate material being burned in one of the building’s fireplaces which was drawn toward the top of the chimney. He said firefighters evacuated the building, cleared the fireplaces and conducted a thorough search of the chimney.

Tisbury, West Tisbury and Oak Bluffs provided mutual aid, a standard practice in the event of chimney fires, Chief Schaeffer said. An Eversource truck was also at the scene due to the fact that a transformer was located near the chimney.

Kelley House employees and onlookers gathered on Kelly street and North Water street to watch as firefighters ascended a ladder from the Edgartown ladder truck to the hotel roof. They carried additional ladders to the roof to climb high enough to inspect the chimney of the historic building.

Hotel facilities manager Donnie Ethier said the chimney fan had failed and would be replaced within a few days.