A Buzzards Bay man accused of stabbing a man in the eye in West Tisbury pleaded not guilty to attempted murder Tuesday in Edgartown District Court.

Joseph Feliciano, 26, of Bourne, was arrested by West Tisbury police Saturday morning after a chaotic scene on Buttonwood Farm Road. Mr. Feliciano, who appears to have had a history of mental health issues, was ordered held without bail and also faces numerous other charges.

West Tisbury police were called to a home on Buttonwood Farm Road around 8 a.m. Saturday for a report of a man being stabbed in the face, according to a report filed with the court.

A woman at the home said Mr. Feliciano, who was a friend, had been visiting, but overstayed his welcome, police wrote. When the Island family at the home tried to get Mr. Feliciano to leave, he grew angry and snapped when he was accused of stealing the woman’s vape, the woman told police.

The woman told police that when she confronted him, he swung a knife at her and attempted to stab her in the midsection multiple times, according to the report.

The woman’s fiance intervened and Mr. Feliciano attacked him, eventually stabbing him in the eye, according to the report.

Mr. Feliciano then ran away from the home into the woods off Buttonwood Farm Road. About an hour later, he returned and was arrested by police.

Police found several deep lacerations on Mr. Feliciano’s head, which he claimed were self-inflicted by a hammer, according to police. He allegedly pushed a hospital nurse to the ground while he was being checked out at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital.

The victim, a 42-year-old West Tisbury resident, suffered a three-inch cut that punctured his sinus cavity, a cut facial muscle and a broken orbital bone. The man was later taken to a Boston hospital for his injuries.

Police contacted Mr. Feliciano’s parents and they advised officers that their son had a history of mental health struggles.

On Tuesday, Mr. Feliciano was arraigned on charges of attempted murder, assault and battery on an ambulance worker, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, resisting arrest and mayhem.

Judge Benjamin Barnes ordered him to be held without bail until a detention hearing on June 4.

Mr. Feliciano’s attorney declined a request for comment Wednesday.